Friday, June 29, 2012

Looking for a Reason...

Jay Asher's Th1rteen R3easons Why is a unique and appealing book that addresses the hot topic of teen suicide through the posthumous voice of Hannah Baker. Hannah's tapes explaining the role of the thirteen people who contributed to her depression, which led to her suicide, are a bit unrealistic (audio tapes? Really?), but the message is clear. Adolescents and adults alike could learn a lot from this book, because each small action builds to a larger one. Consequences reach great depths, especially when death is involved.

So how would we deal with this in a classroom? Suicide is a very real tragedy that has swept through many cities over the past few years. How has technology impacted our youth and their perception of life? How can our own experiences with suicide and death be a type of guidance or comfort to our students? When my sister was a sophomore (and I was in the seventh grade), one of her classmates committed suicide. He was a popular boy, quiet, with older siblings and a seemingly happy home. The fallout in our small rural school was huge. Eventually, of course, 'normalcy' returned, the guidance counselor's office wasn't overflowing, and the sobs in the hallway were fewer and further between. This was fifteen years ago. While we change memes like we change clothing, so too would one expect for our interests to wane in the wake of tragedy. But I still wonder how this type of topic is perceived... Our students will be exposed to all sorts of negative, life-altering experiences and situations. Our role is to help prevent those as much as possible. Asher's novel provides the insight and vicarious experience that can help students in ways that we can't.

2 comments:

  1. I think you make some really great points here. Dealing with suicide in our classrooms is a really tricky topic. But as you said, I think it is important that we do. Unfortunately I can imagine that most of us have probably dealt with a similar tragedy in our school experiences. I think we need to make ourselves vulnerable. I know that I am guilty, far too often, of being too guarded. Of covering up my emotions so that no one "perceives me as weak".I think that this is an issue that we need to show our students our weaknesses. This book offers a phenomenal diving board into the sensitive topic and an honest truth that I think too often we as students and adults try to hide. Whether you enjoyed the book or not, whether you thought it was too cliche or too whiny, the book gives us the opportunity to talk with our students about a topic that no one really wants to talk about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good points Cassandra! If I recall correctly...there were 7 suicides in our surrounding school districts this past academic year. Wildly high. Clearly there's a need for prevention, understanding, and coping strategies and I think this book could be an efficient tool to accomplish those things.

    ReplyDelete